Bicycles are permitted on all roadways, as well as concrete and asphalt pathways, grass, and sidewalks, with the exception of times when there is heavy pedestrian traffic on sidewalks and pathways. When operating on a roadway, bicyclists must obey all laws pertaining to vehicular traffic.
In times of heavy pedestrian traffic, when sidewalks and pathways are congested (such as class change), bicyclists shall dismount completely and walk. Bicyclists are encouraged to dismount at crosswalks. (University Policy 5005 2.1.1)
Operating Mopeds & Motor-Scooters on Campus
Mopeds and motor scooters are permitted only on roadways and drivers must obey all laws pertaining to vehicular traffic. On sidewalks and pathways, mopeds and motor scooters must be walked at all times. (University Policy 5005 2.1.3)
Bicycle parking is regulated by the Alternative Transportation office, and is enforced by Parking Services. All bicycles must be parked in designated bicycle racks and must be registered with Parking Services prior to being parked on campus. To register your bike, use the Parking Services Bicycle Registration form.
Mopeds & Motor-Scooter Parking
Mopeds and motor-scooters do not fall under the policies for bicycle parking. Individuals driving mopeds and motor-scooters must purchase and display a parking permit and must park in the designated moped/ motor-scooter or motorcycle parking spaces, and not at a bike rack. These vehicles are not permitted on sidewalks except to access designated parking.
Parking Services Links
Code of Virginia
The following codes regulate the use of bicycles, EPAMDs, electric power-assisted bicycles, and mopeds (see COV1§ 46.2-100 for definitions) within the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- While traveling on a roadway, bicycles, EPAMDs, electric power-assisted bicycles, and mopeds have the same rights and responsibilities as all other motor vehicles, and must comply with all applicable traffic laws (COV § 46.2-800). This includes, but is not limited to:
- While traveling on a roadway, bicycles, EPAMDs, electric power-assisted bicycles, and mopeds must be equipped with forward facing white light and a red rear facing reflector. When operating on any highway with a speed limit of 35 mph or greater a rear facing red light is also required (COV § 46.2-1015). Please read the referenced code for light and reflector specifications.
- A person riding across roadways may make use of crosswalks with the same rights and responsibilities of a pedestrian. When riding through a crosswalk no such vehicle shall enter or cross an intersection in disregard of approaching traffic (COV § 46.2-924). Operators are encouraged to dismount while crossing.
- A person riding on a sidewalk, shared-use path, or across a roadway on a crosswalk, shall yield the right-of-way to any pedestrian and shall give an audible signal before overtaking and passing any pedestrian (COV § 46.2-904).
- Every person operating a moped, as defined in COV § 46.2-100 , on a public street or highway shall wear a face shield, safety glasses, or goggles of a type approved by the Superintendent or have his moped equipped with safety glass or a windshield at all times while operating such vehicle. Operators and passengers shall wear protective helmets of a type approved by the Superintendent. For more information about bicycle safety and regulations visit the VDOT Bicycling and Walking in Virginia program site.
1 Code of Virginia