The Virginia Tech Police Department provides security at numerous events all across campus. We will help to determine your security needs based on specific event. Activities that may require security typically involve, but are not limited to, one or more of the following:
- Alcoholic beverages;
- Check of ID’s to determine the age of attendees (such as for films with a minimum age requirement specified by the rating);
- Large groups of people, particularly those involving non-university affiliated guests;
- Activities that have the potential to disrupt the normal operation of the university;
- Activities which occur on the same date as other major university events (such as Athletic games, concerts, commencement, etc.);
- A metal detector; and/or
- Sensitive or high-profile topics or speakers/guests.
The following types of events will not ordinarily require the attendance of police officers or security personnel: organizational meetings, speakers, most films, and low-attendance student performances. However, sponsors are expected to be sensitive to the need for security in unusual circumstances.
Any university scheduling office may require a sponsoring organization to consult with the Police Department about security needs if the nature of the event suggests a possible need for security.
For more information contact Sergeant Tom Gallemore at 540-231-1163. Gallemore can provide additional information about the required forms and contact information for the desired venue.