Taxi, Uber, Lyft, and Hooptie Safety
As more and more members of the campus community use ride-sharing services, it is important to take the necessary precautions to safe while traveling in and around campus.
Here are some easy safety tips to keep in mind:
- Use only clearly-identifiable ride-sharing service vehicles that are called to your location; double-check the license plate number and make and model of the car when your driver arrives.
- Do not get into unmarked taxis/cars. The vehicle should have the company's name and logo clearly displayed.
- Ensure the driver can identify your name when using ride-sharing. When the vehicle arrives, lean in without getting in the car, and ask the driver, “Who are you here for?” Do not get in unless the driver can identify your name.
- Share your trip status with a friend when using ride-sharing. They can track your trip and see your ETA.
- Be aware of your surroundings, especially at night.
- Buckle up.
Still looking for a ride? Contact 540-231-7233 (SAFE) or download the TransLoc Rider app for a Safe Ride, Virginia Tech Police Department’s nighttime safety escort service. This service is available to all students, faculty, staff, and visitors to the university. Safe Ride operates from dusk until dawn and provides transportation or a walking escort anywhere on campus, upon request, to persons who do not feel comfortable walking after dark.